Olympia, Washington

  • Subject: [cg] Olympia, Washington
  • From: Skattenbra@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 00:25:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/2002 6:16:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, community_garden-admin@mallorn.com writes:

From: Caraway Seed [mailto:carawayseed@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 3:41 PM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] Looking for info. on community gardening around Olympia,
WA

My name is Caraway Seed. I have been teaching children and adults about
organic gardening, ecology, and sustainable living for the past year.  I'm
hoping to move to the Olympia area and want to get involved in community
gardening there.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Caraway Seed

Hello Caraway!

       I live in Olympia, Washington and there are quite a bit of options-
The first thing I would do if I were you is to contact GRUB- aka Garden Raised Bounty- they are a combination of the Sister Holly Community Garden mentioned by someone else and the Kitchen Garden Project.  They have alot going on with kids, low income, and seniors and would be the number one organization to contact when you get to town.  GRUB's email is grub@olywa.net and phone number is 360-753-5522 (as far as I know these are current).
       There are also a number of elementary schools that have or are creating gardens for children.  One is Lincoln Elementary- I don't recall off hand the second school's name, but it is a middle school in nearby Lacey.  The Evergreen State College has community garden plots available too.  In Tacoma is an organization called Tahoma Food Systems that also has multiple projects needing willing volunteers, not to mention the posibilities in Seattle!
       I hope this helps-