A Ray of Sunshine: Dunbar Community Garden - Little Rock, Arkansas

  • Subject: [cg] A Ray of Sunshine: Dunbar Community Garden - Little Rock, Arkansas
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:25:02 -0400

Teresa,

I can give you some Yankee ideas on how to adjust your Fayetteville, Arkansas soil - but I think that
Mr. Pratt Remmel - organic gardener and community gardener extraordinare, from Little Rock's first class school and community garden - the Dunbar Community Garden would do a far better job. In fact, anyone from Arkansas Urban Gardening Education Resources, Inc ( AUGER)  http://www.auger-ar.org/Welcome.html the umbrella organization which supports Little Rock's community gardens could give you some amazing ideas on how to adjust your gypsum and then some...

We have a Japanese Magnolia in the Clinton Community Garden in NYC http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org , the glory of the place actually, when the frost doesn't kill the flowers first. But the real, full sized, glorious southern Magnolia in the Dunbar produces flowers the size of softballs/grapefruits or larger.  I held one - by the stem so the leaves wouldn't darken - and realized that I wasn't in Manhattan anymore...

Founded in 1992, the elementary and middle school educational projects that the Dunbar Community Garden provides to its local elementary and middle school through its Educational Gardening program are about as good as it gets...and they're getting better. As a tomato grower in NYC, I suffered green-eyed envy when I saw their new chicken coop under construction as well as their mobile educational chicken coop  on wheels no less!

Since 1995,  the Dunbar  Community Garden's Life Development program hasoffered a LifeSkills training program for teenagers centered on gardening and horticulture. In 1999 the participants sold cut flowers at the River Market, tracked their income and expenses and used the proceedings for recreational outings and to send two members to a national gardening meeting.

There is nobody more provincial than a native New Yorker and Manhattanite.  I found it inspirational to see what can happen with community gardening when the local municipality doesn't bulldoze gardens but actually works with them to help create a better city and build community through community gardening. The work of the Little Rocks Parks and Recreation Department is exemplary in this regard.

Pat Remmel is also a fine geography teacher - I learned the difference between Hot Springs and Warm Springs from him :) .

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman