hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1066 - 5 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1066 - 5 msgs
  • From: "Shelly Collins" <tgrows@toledogarden.org>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:20:44 -0400

Theresa in Arkansas,

Don't add any gypsum to your soil!  That raises pH...yours needs to be
lowered.  Ideal pH for veggie gardens 6.2-6.8

Good luck!  Shelly

We are stardust  .  .  . we are golden  .  .  . and we've got to get
ourselves back to the garden.

Shelly Collins
Toledo GROWs Manager
Toledo Botanical Garden
5403 Elmer Drive
Toledo, Ohio  43615
419-936-2990
tgrows@toledogarden.org
----- Original Message -----
From: <community_garden-admin@mallorn.com>
To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 1:00 PM
Subject: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1066 - 5 msgs


>
> Send community_garden mailing list submissions to
> community_garden@mallorn.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the web, visit
> https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> community_garden-request@mallorn.com
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
> "Re: Contents of community_garden digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Gypsum (Teresa Kohut)
>   2. Anymore word on the wormcastings? (Deborah Mills)
>   3. membership (Maureen T. Forte)
>   4. A Ray of Sunshine: Dunbar Community Garden - Little Rock, Arkansa
>  s (Honigman, Adam)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> From: "Teresa Kohut" <treebone7@hotmail.com>
> To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:05:54 -0500
> boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01C201D4.763B7DA0"
> Subject: [cg] Gypsum
>
> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C201D4.763B7DA0
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> How much gypsum would you apply to a 50' square bed with a pH of 8.0?
>
> Teresa=20
> Fayetteville,AR
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C201D4.763B7DA0
> Content-Type: text/html;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How much gypsum would you apply to a =
> 50' square bed=20
> with a pH of 8.0?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Teresa </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
> size=3D2>Fayetteville,AR</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C201D4.763B7DA0--
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 2
> From: "Deborah Mills" <deborah@greencure.org>
> To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:24:36 -0700
> boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0014_01C201BD.ED829540"
> Subject: [cg] Anymore word on the wormcastings?
>
> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C201BD.ED829540
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> I am doing a bit of research and have also heard the "buzz" about how =
> worm castings can ward-off whitefly. Has anyone received any additional =
> information about this notion?
>
> Sincerely,
> Deborah Mills
> Green Cure, Inc.
> Making Community Gardens Happen... (in Ventura California that is)!
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C201BD.ED829540
> Content-Type: text/html;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am doing a bit of research and have =
> also heard=20
> the "buzz" about how worm castings can ward-off whitefly. Has anyone =
> received=20
> any additional information about this notion?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sincerely,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Deborah Mills</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Green Cure, Inc.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Making Community Gardens Happen... (in =
> Ventura=20
> California that is)!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C201BD.ED829540--
>
>
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> From: maureentf@webtv.net (Maureen T. Forte)
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Subject: [cg] membership
>
> hi - i am a staten island community gardener and would like to
> subscribe.....i welcome any community garden news........by the way i do
> have a question......are there water restrictions, because someone told
> me that because it is federal land water restrictions do not apply???  i
> tried calling several phone numbers to your bklyn office and no one was
> able to answer my question.....on staten island we have restrictions and
> i was just  wondering what restrictions you had in bklyn??   oh and
> someone also said that there is no water restriction also when it comes
> to watering produce???      i would appreciate any info that someone out
> there would have for me...and would also like to be put on the community
> garden email list.....thank you......maureen          should you need
> any other info from me i will gladly supply it.......
>
>
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 4
> From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
> To: "'Teresa Kohut'" <treebone7@hotmail.com>
> Cc: "'community_garden@mallorn.com'" <community_garden@mallorn.com>,
> "'Prem@aristotle.net'" <Prem@aristotle.net>
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:25:02 -0400
> boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C20276.63C16390"
> Subject: [cg] A Ray of Sunshine: Dunbar Community Garden - Little Rock,
Arkansa
> s
>
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
> this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C20276.63C16390
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Teresa,
>
> I can give you some Yankee ideas on how to adjust your Fayetteville,
> Arkansas soil - but I think that
> Mr. Pratt Remmel - organic gardener and community gardener extraordinare,
> from Little Rock's first class school and community garden - the Dunbar
> Community Garden would do a far better job. In fact, anyone from Arkansas
> Urban Gardening Education Resources, Inc ( AUGER)
> <http://www.auger-ar.org/Welcome.html>
http://www.auger-ar.org/Welcome.html
> the umbrella organization which supports Little Rock's community gardens
> could give you some amazing ideas on how to adjust your gypsum and then
> some...
>
> We have a Japanese Magnolia in the Clinton Community Garden in NYC
> http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org
> <http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org>  , the glory of the place
actually,
> when the frost doesn't kill the flowers first. But the real, full sized,
> glorious southern Magnolia in the Dunbar produces flowers the size of
> softballs/grapefruits or larger.  I held one - by the stem so the leaves
> wouldn't darken - and realized that I wasn't in Manhattan anymore...
>
> Founded in 1992, the elementary and middle school educational projects
that
> the Dunbar Community Garden provides to its local elementary and middle
> school through its Educational Gardening program are about as good as it
> gets...and they're getting better. As a tomato grower in NYC, I suffered
> green-eyed envy when I saw their new chicken coop under construction as
well
> as their mobile educational chicken coop  on wheels no less!
>
> Since 1995,  the Dunbar  Community Garden's Life Development program
> hasoffered a LifeSkills training program for teenagers centered on
gardening
> and horticulture. In 1999 the participants sold cut flowers at the River
> Market, tracked their income and expenses and used the proceedings for
> recreational outings and to send two members to a national gardening
> meeting.
>
> There is nobody more provincial than a native New Yorker and Manhattanite.
> I found it inspirational to see what can happen with community gardening
> when the local municipality doesn't bulldoze gardens but actually works
with
> them to help create a better city and build community through community
> gardening. The work of the Little Rocks Parks and Recreation Department is
> exemplary in this regard.
>
> Pat Remmel is also a fine geography teacher - I learned the difference
> between Hot Springs and Warm Springs from him :) .
>
> Best wishes,
> Adam Honigman
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Teresa Kohut [mailto:treebone7@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:06 PM
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Subject: [cg] Gypsum
>
>
> How much gypsum would you apply to a 50' square bed with a pH of 8.0?
>
> Teresa
> Fayetteville,AR
>
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C20276.63C16390
> Content-Type: text/html;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
>
>
> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.3103.1000" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002>Teresa,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>I can give you
some
> Yankee ideas on how to adjust your Fayetteville, Arkansas soil - but I
think
> that </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Mr. Pratt
Remmel -
> organic gardener and community gardener extraordinare, from Little Rock's
first
> class school and community garden - the Dunbar Community Garden would do a
far
> better job. In fact, anyone from Arkansas Urban Gardening Education
Resources,
> Inc ( AUGER)&nbsp; <FONT color=#0000ff><A
> href="http://www.auger-ar.org/Welcome.html";><FONT size=2><FONT
face=Arial><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002><FONT
>
color=#0000ff>h</FONT></SPAN>ttp://www.auger-ar.org/Welcome.html</FONT></FON
T></A></FONT><FONT
> color=#000000>&nbsp;the umbrella organization which supports Little Rock's
> community gardens could give you some amazing ideas on how to&nbsp;adjust
your
> gypsum and then some...</FONT></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>We have a
Japanese
> Magnolia in the Clinton Community Garden in NYC <A
>
href="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org";>http://www.clintoncommunitygard
en.org</A>
> , the glory of the place actually, when the frost doesn't kill the flowers
> first. But the real, full sized, glorious southern Magnolia in the Dunbar
> produces flowers the size of softballs/grapefruits or larger.&nbsp; I held
one -
> by the stem so the leaves wouldn't darken - and realized that I wasn't in
> Manhattan anymore... </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Founded in
1992, the
> elementary and middle school educational projects that the Dunbar
Community
> Garden provides to its local elementary and middle school through its
> Educational Gardening program are about as good as it gets...and they're
getting
> better. As a tomato grower in NYC, I suffered green-eyed envy when I saw
their
> new chicken coop under construction as well as their mobile educational
chicken
> coop&nbsp; on wheels no less!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Since 1995,
> &nbsp;the Dunbar &nbsp;Community Garden's Life Development program
hasoffered a
> LifeSkills training program for teenagers centered on gardening and
> horticulture. In 1999 the participants sold cut flowers at the River
Market,
> tracked their income and expenses and used the proceedings for
recreational
> outings and to send two members to a national gardening
> meeting.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>There is
nobody more
> provincial than a native New Yorker and Manhattanite.&nbsp; I found it
> inspirational to see what can happen with community gardening when the
local
> municipality doesn't bulldoze gardens but actually works with them to help
> create a better city and build community through community gardening. The
work
> of the Little Rocks Parks and Recreation Department is exemplary in this
> regard.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Pat Remmel is
also a
> fine geography teacher - I learned the difference between Hot Springs and
Warm
> Springs from him :) .</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Best
> wishes,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=623595814-23052002>Adam
> Honigman</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN
> class=623595814-23052002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
>   <DIV align=left class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr><FONT face=Tahoma
>   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Teresa Kohut
>   [mailto:treebone7@hotmail.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 22, 2002
10:06
>   PM<BR><B>To:</B> community_garden@mallorn.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [cg]
>   Gypsum<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
>   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>How much gypsum would you apply to a 50'
square
>   bed with a pH of 8.0?</FONT></DIV>
>   <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Teresa </FONT></DIV>
>   <DIV><FONT face=Arial
> size=2>Fayetteville,AR</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C20276.63C16390--
>
>
>
> --__--__--
>
> ______________________________________________________
> The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of
ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to
find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
>
> To post an e-mail to the list:  community_garden@mallorn.com
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
>
>
> End of community_garden Digest
>


______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org


To post an e-mail to the list:  community_garden@mallorn.com

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden





 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index