Transplanting Lilacs

  • Subject: [cg] Transplanting Lilacs
  • From: Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:44:45 -0400 (EDT)

I am coordinating the renovation of a vacant lot
"guerilla garden" into a multifunctional community
garden and green space for our neighbourhood.  One of
the lots has a semicircle of trees and shrubs that
used to border the front yard of a house, which have
to be removed for safety purposes.  Some of these are
lilacs, which would be nice to salvage if we can.

Does anyone know how best to transplant these shrubs
or their shoots?  They are obviously quite old, and
have a large root system, so some of the larger ones
might not survive being dug up -- and we will probably
have to use heavy machinery to get them out.  There
are a number of younger shoots, though, which might be
successfully transplanted if we know what we're doing.
 Any suggestions along these lines would be most

Jeneva Storme

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203