transplanting lilacs

  • Subject: [cg] transplanting lilacs
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:25:37 -0500

Hi,
In my not-so-vast experience, it is hard to kill lilacs. Take the young
stuff, make sure you have plenty of root hairs, cut back all the growth to a
few inches, then transplant, same depth you dug them at, water well. Then
wait. Take more than you think you need, a few chunks might not make it. I
wouldn't worry too much about the best time to transplant, just make sure
they get plenty of care at the new site.  Here in the frozen north of
Minnesota we dig things till about a month before the soil is solid - about
mid October, to allow some time for the roots to take before the plant goes
dormant. Best of luck,
lisa in Mpls.