Re: Gardening With The Homeless & The Mad (Jim Call)

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Gardening With The Homeless & The Mad (Jim Call)
  • From: Jennifer L Barricklow barricklow@juno.com
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:59:57 -0700

I was involved for a number of years with a community garden near a
homeless shelter in New Haven, CT. A group of us gardened with clients
from the shelter, and it was a wonderful opportunity and experience. We
grew vegetables, herbs, and flowers for cutting, which we sold at a
weekly market downtown. Our produce was also used in the kitchen at the
shelter, especially the herbs, and the clients and staff had fresh cut
flowers on their tables, desks, and windowsills all season long! We got
the idea from the Homeless Garden Project in Santa Cruz. Visit their
website at the link below!

http://www.infopoint.com/sc/orgs/garden/

Happy gardening!
Jennifer Barricklow