Wool in the Garden

 Jacquie Berger wrote:

I have recently learned that most Connecticut sheep farmers do not use or
sell their wool, so truckloads of excess wool have been going to waste.  So
my question is: will wool make good mulch or compost?
Yes, it makes an excellent mulch. I believe such sheets of mulch are sold in South Africa and Australia.

A friend of mine from high school now runs the Penn's Corner Farm Alliance in Western PA -- he was involved in a project to turn this wool into planter liners (for use instead of the coconut fiber sold in garden centers for windowboxes and the like). I bought some in my garden center (not knowing he was involved) for a windowbox we installed on our gate last year -- it worked *great*!

The problem is one of distribution rather than of utility -- wool mulch or liner works great, but getting US garden centers to give it shelf space is something else again! :-(

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of