Re: rain water collection

  • Subject: Re: [cg] rain water collection
  • From: Lenny Librizzi plantlot@rcn.com
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:39:45 -0400

Kevin,
I posted this on the list serv on March 28:
Last year, we built 7 water harvesting systems in community gardens in NYC and plan to build at least 10 more  this spring. We roughly calculated that we collected
14,000 gallons of water in last years drought (saving enough for over 9,000, 1.6 gallon toilet flushes). To  date we have used recycled reddish colored olive barrels that
hold 190 liters. (~50 gals.) Where the roof collecting area is large enough we connected the barrels together  with flexible pool hoses low on the barrels so that all of the
barrels fill up at the same rate and empty when the spigot is opened. The barrels are covered with tight  fitting lids that have a small hole covered with a mosquito proof
screen to allow for air pressure to enter and exit and water to flow freely. The barrels are elevated on  concrete block and 2X8 or 2X10 lumber platforms. The blocks
are 3-4' apart to carry the weight and the barrels are high enough to accept a watering can or to have a hose  attached to connect to soaker hoses. An overflow pipe
directs the excess water to a planted area. The barrels are also secured with nylon rope and eyehooks to the  adjacent shed, casita or building to keep the barrels from
shifting, falling over when empty or being pulled down by a child.
We are planning to upgrade the systems with "roofwashers" which are simple diverters to direct the first "wash" from the roof to a small collector which can be emptied
and the "cleaner" water flows to the barrels.  We make it clear that the water is non potable and to be used  for watering plants only, not for drinking.
We are looking for some simple manual metods for "pressurizing" the flow of water to use with drip irrigation  systems or where the barrels cannot be raised high enough
for gravity to get the water to higher elevations or where the barrels can't be located at the highest spot in  the garden.
We also are looking for larger containers with different profiles that could fit in, under or around other  objects in the gardens and could possibly have multiple uses.
We have pictures of the built systems but this list serv doesn't like attachments.
Lenny Librizzi

You might also try these links
http://www.waterwiser.org/frameset2.cfm?b=6

http://www.waterwiser.org/frameset.cfm?b=5