Wool in the Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Wool in the Garden
  • From: "Jon Rowley" rowley@nwlink.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:40:54 -0700

Jacquie,
I've experimented with wool in compost and in mulches and worm bins.  It is very slow to break down as there are very few organisms capable of using it for food.  A fungus called krytid is one. It looks like tiny  bright white insect eggs when it shows up.  If your system doesn't require breakdown quickly, wool will eventually get there.  It is not high on my list of compostables and mulchables. However if you have truckloads available it would warrant further study. It is a shame to see any kind of good organic matter go to waste.
Good tilth,
Jon Rowley
Interbay P-Patch
Seattle

Hi everyone,

I have recently learned that most Connecticut sheep farmers do not use or
sell their wool, so truckloads of excess wool have been going to waste.  So
my question is: will wool make good mulch or compost?  Has anyone tried this
who would be willing to share their success / horror stories?

Many thanks!

Jacquie B.

Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street