From Catherine Seneviratne: Future Leaders Exchange

  • Subject: [cg] From Catherine Seneviratne: Future Leaders Exchange
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" ariel@tc.umn.edu
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 12:10:18 -0500

To whom it may concern:

My name is Catherine Seneviratne.  I am the program coordinator for
Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) program at American Councils.  The FLEX
program is a State Department funded high school educational program
that brings 15-17 year old students from the former Soviet Union to
America to study for an academic year.

The Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) was established in 1992 as the
centerpiece of the NIS Secondary School Initiative, funded under the
FREEDOM Support Act through a transfer of funds from the Department of
State and USAID.  Its goal is to provide an opportunity for high school
students from Eurasia* to experience life in a democratic society in
order to promote democratic values and institutions in Eurasia.  Since
1993, more than 11,000 students from 12 Eurasian countries have
participated and returned to their homes to pursue higher education and
move into the job market.

Students are recruited and must pass very rigorous testing in order to
be selected.  Every year, over 50,000 students apply and only 1300 are
actually selected.  We see our students as ambassadors and the future
leaders of their respected countries.

The reason I am writing is because I am trying to find a host family for
a student named Olga.  She is 16 years old and from Georgievsk, Russia.
In her personal statement, she expressed a real interest in gardening.
I was hoping to find a family who shares her passion.  She has a very
good command of English and expresses herself well in her essays.

If anyone would like more information about the program or is interested
in hosting Olga, please feel free to contact me.

Thank You,
Catherine

Catherine Seneviratne
FLEX/FSA Placement Organization