Re: Coffee Chaff

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Coffee Chaff
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:22:45 -0400

Hi Corrie,

I've used it in the paths of my community garden plot. It rots very quickly and smells great. As it's rotting down, it does get a bit nasty looking which is why I prefer to use salt hay as my bed mulch.

Generally, I scrape any dried wood chips or salt hay off the paths in the early spring and dig the compost out of the paths and onto the beds. Our soil is pretty alkaline (pH 7.1-7.8) because we're built on the remains of an old brick and mortar public school, so any more or less acid stuff we can get into/onto it is a plus.

Besides, if one is getting a bit worn in the hot sun, a good sniff of the chaff, which often has some actual beans in it, is most welcome.

Use your chaff in good health,