Re: bamboo stories, please

  • Subject: Re: [cg] bamboo stories, please
  • From: Heidi Busse heidi_busse@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amanda!
For information on bamboo that would be appropriate for your zone, you might want to contact Deb Mille <mille@ismi.net > from the Howell Nature Center in western Michigan.  She and the folks from the Howell Nature Center are working with Heifer International to construct an educational program called the Global Village, modeled after the Global Village program that Heifer runs at their three learning centers in Massachusetts, Arkansas, and California.  They are constructing homes and gardens that represent different regions of the world, and I know that Deb did considerable research a few years ago on growing and using bamboo.  She likely would have some information to share!

Good luck!  heidi

*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*

Amanda Maria Edmonds <aedmonds@umich.edu> wrote:
Anyone have bamboo advice?

I just checked the archives and not too much discussion of
bamboo-growing surfaced. I've been researching the types of bamboo suitable for northern climates (southeast Michigan is where I am)-- found one genus, Fargesia, that's a clumping type (as opposed to running) and tolerates pretty cold winters. I've not grown any of this myself, though, and am debating what to buy and where to buy it from... Everything I've read makes it seem as though when you plant a clumping type, there's no concern about using a rhizome-barrier of any sort. Anyone have experience in this? How much/how fast hass anyone's
clumping bamboo spread? I've found a lot of web mail-order bamboo places, but can't discern any better or worse sources-- I'd love anyone's recommendation as to a good source, or for better or worse genera and species to try out! We've got full sun, and decently-draining loamy-clay soil...

Amanda

Heidi Busse
Monitoring Coordinator, Farm Beginnings
Land Stewardship Project
www.landstewardshipproject.org

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders. Henry David Thoreau

Do you Yahoo!?