bamboo stories, please

  • Subject: [cg] bamboo stories, please
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds aedmonds@umich.edu
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:52:45 -0400

Anyone have bamboo advice?

I just checked the archives and not too much discussion of bamboo-growing surfaced. I've been researching the types of bamboo suitable for northern climates (southeast Michigan is where I am)-- found one genus, Fargesia, that's a clumping type (as opposed to running) and tolerates pretty cold winters. I've not grown any of this myself, though, and am debating what to buy and where to buy it from... Everything I've read makes it seem as though when you plant a clumping type, there's no concern about using a rhizome-barrier of any sort. Anyone have experience in this? How much/how fast hass anyone's clumping bamboo spread? I've found a lot of web mail-order bamboo places, but can't discern any better or worse sources-- I'd love anyone's recommendation as to a good source, or for better or worse genera and species to try out! We've got full sun, and decently-draining loamy-clay soil...

Amanda Maria Edmonds

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Mahatma Ghandi