Cory Zoll's query about burlap

  • Subject: [cg] Cory Zoll's query about burlap
  • From: bill ruffin willci_99@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 22:39:06 -0700 (PDT)

Cory,

I used it in Cincinnati to mulch a raised bed of
lavender. It kept cats from pooping in the 1/3 sand
soil, slowed down the weeds from apppearing (but did
not stop them), tended to stabilize the soil--the bed
was sloped at first, and the sand tended to run to one
side without the burlap. And I believe the burlap held
together for at least a year. The bed was only a 4x10,
so lots of burlap was not needed; and was easy to get
in Cincinnati anyway.  The burlap mulch was great for
the lavender because the fragrance of the oil in the
buds (which is what we used to make lavender wands and
satchets with) develops more concentrated when the
plants have less organic matter in the soil. Then, as
the burlap broke down and fell apart, I put it in the
compost bins. Here in Guam, burlap seems to be harder
to get than in Cincinnati; but I have yet to start
really gardening here.

Bill

=====
C.I.