Re: re. coffee and copyrights.

  • Subject: Re: [cg] re. coffee and copyrights.
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:19:24 EDT

Thank God for Trademark Protections.

Trademarks and brand name protections are a very good thing.  I certainly
would hate to have someone suddenly appropriate the name, "American Community
Gardening Association" and attach it to a commercial outfit that sells cut
rate pesticides to American communities for public and private gardens, for
example.  And authors need their copyrights as well to eat .

Name and copyright searches are important, and the outfits that chose those
"copycat" names were trying to gain commercial advantage through them.
Intellectual property is as real as the computer you're sitting at: our
society has chosen to protect it - I only wish it were as solicitous of
community gardens.

But if I should ever choose to open up a coffee establishment in the
Greenwich Village section of Manhattan, I think the name, "Coffee and
Domination" might get me an interesting clientele.  I would, of course,
before I made the investment in a chain and leather motif be sure to do a due
dilligence search on the name...

Drinking coffee (Fairway's Columbian Supremo - $4.99 lb. ) whose grinds will
be in the CCG's compost later today,

Adam Honigman