help for raising funds

We have a small community garden in Santa Fe, NM. We are not yet 501c3 status, mostly because we are all volunteers and no one has the time to complete all the necessary paperwork, etc. We are looking for concrete ideas to raise funds. Due to last summer's severe drought, we lost many members and chose not to advertise or ask for money from the community (water restrictions sensitivity). Now we are about $1000 in the hole. If anyone has any great ideas that worked for them, or know of sympathetic organizations in our area that might help, please advise.
John and Lauren