Carney Barker Style Fundraising

  • Subject: [cg] Carney Barker Style Fundraising
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:35:13 EDT

I usually answer fundraising questions  like this on this listserve so expert
folks like John Herndon (formerly director of the community gardening program
of the Oklahoma Food Bank) don't have to.

While the Clinton Community Garden is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation
( we had the help of the Trust for Public Land during the early days in
getting that organized) and has become fairly sophisticated in grant writing,
our major annual fund raiser is a booth we man (or womyn) at the 9th Ave.
International Food Festival every May.  (Just cut and paste this link in your
http://9th-ave.com/9thAveFestival.htm )

The festival provides a few booths, gratis, to not-for-profit neighborhood
groups like block associations, health or educational institutions and our
garden.  During the first few years we sold plants, but we decided to design
a logo and design and sell Clinton Community Garden "Gardener from Hell's
Kitchen" emblazoned t-shirts, baseball hats, coffee mugs, water bottles, cook
books, to the thousands of  folks passing by.

After much discussion, we finally jumped for an "Easy-Up" tent to keep the
rain or sun off us and to define our turf. On our table we have brochures
promoting our garden, NYC garden preservation and legislation, legislative
petitions,  Garden Celebrations!, Neighborhood Open Space Coalition, a big
sign thanking Bette Middler for saving gardens one year and promoting the
ACGA conference last year.

Most of our gardeners are nice, quiet people who sit quietly at our table and
wait for folks to approach it in a laid back fashion.  Maybe because I have
the pushcart peddler, carney barker in my make up, I'm out in front of the
booth making a fool of myself saying, "Atone for your Dad's SUV! Buy a shirt
from our volunteer garden community!" "Can't buy this T-shirt at anywhere
else but here! Clinton Community Garden genuine china coffee mugs - see...it
says made in China right here on the bottom." "Help support gardens and fight
crime in this community!" "We have your t-shirt." "Hey you, (with the gym
body/cutie/with the kid/tourist/eating that candy apple) this T-shirt would
look great on you!"

While some like me hustle up front, others take garden inquiries like, "How
do you get a key" and take the money, and try not to let anyone leave the
table without buying something or dropping something in the large tin
watering can we have labled "Garden Donations".

Quite frankly, some just buy stuff or contribute because we make them laugh,
others are neighborhood folks who just like the place and say, "what the

The active approach, in a sea of hundreds of thousands of people makes us
money. If you have a similar event near you, it's worth a try.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:   Re: Help for raising funds