Trying to Support Family Farming Two Blocks Away From Times Square

  • Subject: [cg] Trying to Support Family Farming Two Blocks Away From Times Square
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:57:28 EDT

Friends,

We already have a local farmer's market in Hell's Kitchen through the NYC
Council for the Environment's GreenMarket program, but as more family farms
are disappearing only 50-100 miles away from the city, more has to be done.
This is our community garden's  first shot at a CSA and if we don't get it
started this year, we'll have more time to organize this for next. While we
grow alot of produce in our garden during the season, we don't grow
everything and still have to go to the supermarket.  If we can get organic
groceries direct from a local farmer, especially when it's local, it's a nice
win-win.

Cross your fingers. Maybe this thing can grow this into something really
substantial for our neighborhood and this farmer. I'll keep you posted on
what we learn.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

A note  from Clinton Community Garden volunteer Annie Chadwick on how this is
being organized:

 Hi All,

 CCG is sponsoring a Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) with White Feather
Organic Farm in Pine Bush, NY. A CSA is a coop with a farm where the
shareholders buy shares in advance of a farms produce which is then delivered
weekly to their neighborhood during the summer and fall months.   Usually it
takes 6-8 months to organize this with the farmer but because he is already
coming to the new 39th ST Flea Market we will be able to start in June.
Basically the deal is that all we need to start this year are 10 people who
will pay upfront $500 for 20 deliveries of organic vegetable produce.   Each
member would go to the 39th ST Flea Market on Sunday and pickup their share
of produce for 20 weeks starting June 8-October 26. If you want to "share a
share" you would coordinate that with the others in your group. I am the
contact for Clinton Garden and would need your $500 check on June 1st. Unlike
some CSAs, we do not have to volunteer time at the stand giving out the bags,
sorting the food or cleaning up. I think it is a marvelous opportunity that
has the potential to develop into a great community endeavor.   There are all
kinds of future possibilities like: Farm visits for shareholders & their
families as well as working shares where you work on the farm for the food!
If you or someone you know would like a share please call me or email.
Thanks, Annie Chadwick  >>