Re: Clinton Corner-Biointensive Internship Challenge Plot Update May 21,

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Clinton Corner-Biointensive Internship Challenge Plot Update May 21,
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:27:17 EDT

I have shared your project with some of my friends at the Clinton Community
garden who grow a variety of stuff in the 108 4 x 8 foot  plots in our rear
garden.  We need to see pictures too. To get an idea of our space, and the
general layout of the garden, please go to our website at   <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A>  .

Now, I'm a fairly productive veggie gardener in a 4 x 8 foot wooden framed
wooden plot.  I'm fortunate in that I have the fence that separates the back
and rear gardens at the rear of my plot, so I do not have to use up much
space for the various varieties of pole and hyacinth beans that I plant. This
year, once the frost was gone (and I didn't want to use a cold frame or
cloche this year)  which the space was first planted with arrugula, red leaf
lettuce, as well as the scallions that seem to winter over in my plot.

I have 8 foot high wooden poles in my plot for the tomatoes (untreated wood,
bought cheap when a lumber yard went out of business - after a few years
they've been rotting away  nicely) and the traditional, waist high bargain
basement tomato cages.   Early season netting for birds also adds to the set

With two neighbors next to me, I have bricks to maneuver through what becomes
a tomato jungle at the height of the season. We all use bricks to maneuver
through our plots as we do not touch or disturb our neighbors tiny places - a
causus belli.

Currently, I've planted 9 tomato plants ( some heirloom, sweet 100s, etc)
about 8 basil plants all over my plot, 4 egg plants,  4 hot jalapino peppers,
4 sweet italian peppers, dill, and what ever herbs I think will fit and get
enough sun to survive.  My flowers in the veggie plot are marigolds, said to
be beneficial to tomatoes in the same way that basil is.  In the fall, until
frost, I usually have some brussel sprouts and lettuce going along with
carrots, beets and onions.   I amend with, soil, humus,  compost, chicken
manure, compost tea and fish emulsion.

At the height of snail season, I've lined the wood with copper stripping in
the past, mostly I use diatomaceous earth and beer traps.  And while I've
experimented with all kinds of suds, the suckers really like bargain basement
Ballantines XXX Pale Ale out of a "40".  Hell's Kitchen snails.

Sand traps:  I don't get the greatest sun because our garden is surrounded on
three sides by tenements and is a block and a half away from 40 -50 storey
buildings on the 8th avenue periphery of the Times Square Area (we're 5
blocks south and  2 and a half block west of where the ball is dropped on New
Year's Eve).  We do keep beneficial insects and follow organic practices.
Our toads survive until the feral cats (who kill the rodents that our traps
don't tease) eat them. Three  guys keep koi and frogs (which he brings in
during the winter) .  We do have a beehive, which helps,  decent composting,
maniacal gardeners, piped in water, and the police and carriage stable
nearby.  We do get 50 varieties of birds which make pit stops on their
migrations which sometimes glom on our some of our insect blights, sometimes
eat our preying mantises.  But somehow it works out.

Big problem: but we also have an insane, religiously inspired pigeon lady a
block a way who is restrained most of the time from throwing crumbs in the
garden by highly profane pitch fork toting individuals like myself who
interrupt her  mission when she comes by the garden.

With my  pitchfork and  beard , she believes I am the Devil: we have not
disavowed her of that idea - it may save our tulips and some of our veggies
from the onslaught of pigeons.

However, here catcalls of "Satan" through the front garden gate made a tour
of the garden that I gave to  a group of Roman Catholic religious
particularly memorable.  A basket of cherry tomatoes to their soup kitchen
was our donated in honor of an improvised mock exorcism performed on the site
to get this lady on her way.

Seriously, this lady has been such a nuisance to the block and to her
neighbors - think Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds",  thousands of well fed
pigeons, eating and defecating like horses -  that she's been arrested by a
task force of police, sanitation and the health department (sometimes in
tandem) and fined rather heavily.  And no, pace Tom Lehrer , we can't poison
the pigeons in the park - it's illegal here.

 The rats that she's attracted have literally eaten the cables under parked
trucks.  We believe that it is the gentrifying nature of our neighborhood,
her alliance with various homeless guys who she sporadically feeds and drinks
with (and perhaps divine intervention)  that has saved her from being thrown
headlong into the railroad cut that runs between 10th &  11th avenues.

Please keep these challenges in mind as you proceed with your project.

Best wishes,

Adam "Prince of Darkness" Honigman

<< Subj:     RE: [cg] Clinton Corner-Biointensive Internship Challenge Plot
Update May 21,