HOW TO START A COMMUNITY GARDEN - Online Workshop

  • Subject: [cg] HOW TO START A COMMUNITY GARDEN - Online Workshop
  • From: Laura Berman laura@foodshare.net
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:36:03 -0400

Hi Folks,
I'd like to invite ACGA members (and soon-to be) to take part in an online
course we're giving on how to start up a community garden. The course is
free and there's no maximum number or time limit on registering (the course
started this week and runs for 4 weeks). Registration instructions are at
the bottom, just scroll down.

Hope you will join us,
Laura
-------------------
HOW TO START A COMMUNITY GARDEN - Online Workshop - Starts May 20th (but you
can sign up anytime)

If you're thinking that a community garden might be just the thing for that
vacant lot in your neighbourhood, or for your apartment building, your kid's
school, the nearby park or even your church, but you're kinda wondering how
to get started...

Or if you're a more experienced community gardener, and feel like wading in
to help others out, or want to ask a few of those nagging questions that
your garden hasn't been able to solve...

Join facilitators Laura Berman and Zora Ignjatovic to learn more about
community gardening in an online workshop starting May 20th and running
until June 13th.

The workshops are free, and all you have to do is: sign up and participate!

Participating will mean a commitment of a couple of hours of your time
spread throughout each week for 4 weeks - reading the postings, asking
questions, and contributing to discussions. We hope the resources in the
workshop will become perennial resources you can refer to as your community
garden grows.

What we'll be covering
* The benefits of community gardening
* Finding an appropriate site (private property or public space)
* Preparing the site and designing the garden
* Finding and working with your group
* Setting the garden ground rules
* Leadership
* Community relations
* Fundraising
* And much more... especially your questions!

FORMAT
 The workshop will be four sessions long. Each week there will be materials
posted for you to read and think about. There will also be questions and
scenarios posed to you by the facilitators to stimulate discussion.
Throughout the week, you will discuss the questions and the readings in the
discussion area of the site. (The website we will host the workshop on is
very simple to learn how to use.)

ABOUT THE FACILITATORS
 Laura Berman is a prize-winning landscape architect, and has been working
at FoodShare Toronto for eight years. She is currently Community Agriculture
Coordinator, responsible for coordinating the agency's community gardening
program and urban agriculture Heifer projects. She is a board member of the
ACGA and the author of the popular community gardening manual "How Does Our
Garden Grow."
Zora Ignjatovic is a trained horticulturalist and experienced community
activist. She organized the prize-winning school garden at Jackman Public
School. Zora is the newest addition to the staff at FoodShare and we're
delighted that she has joined our team.

---------------------

HOW TO REGISTER

 Before you can access the website you need to register and become a member
so that you can participate in FoodShare’s online community (How to Start a
Community Garden Online Workshop).

If this is the first workshop you have signed-up for then follow the
“First-time participant instructions. If you participated in the online
workshop in the winter of 2002, or in another Community Zero online
community follow the Returning Participant instructions below.

FIRST TIME PARTICIPANT

* Go to www.communityzero.com/foodshare
<http://www.communityzero.com/foodshare>
* The first time you do this click on JOIN

* Choose Option A : Create a new account

You will then be in the  "Join Restricted Community" page. Follow the
instructions to join. (NOTE: we are not using an Invitation Key or Community
Password).

Once you've chosen a username and password, you will be asked to choose

activity updates (we suggest send weekly), There is an optional message to
community moderators. You will be asked how much information you want to
share on your public profile at community zero and how much information do
you want to share within this community. The Community Zero community is the
entire website's community so the most secure option we suggest for the

-         Public profile at Community Zero to select "Hide Email and Name"

-         For this community to select "Show user name only"

Then click on LOGIN

* Once you have done this step – you will receive three emails.

One email will have the subject  "Welcome to Community Zero" (Confirmation
Code (4 digits).  The confirmation code is to verify that your email address
works. Follow the instructions in the email to do this.

The second email says that your application has been received and you must
wait for approval by the administrators (Jennifer, Zora and Laura)

 The third email will let you know that you are approved. You can then login
and get started!
--------------------

RETURNING PARTICIPANTS

* Go to www.communityzero.com/foodshare
<http://www.communityzero.com/foodshare>
* The first time you do this click on JOIN

* Choose Option B : Use an existing account

You will then be in the "Join Restricted Community" page. Follow the
instructions to join. (NOTE: we are not using an Invitation Key or Community
Password).

Once you've put in your username and password, you will be asked to choose
activity updates (we suggest send weekly), There is an optional message to
community moderators. You will be asked how much information you want to
share on your public profile at community zero and how much information do
you want to share within this community. The Community Zero community is the
entire website’s community so the most secure option we suggest for the

-          Public profile at Community Zero to select  "Hide Email and Name"

-     For this community to select  "Show user name only"

* Then click on LOGIN

Once you have done this step – you will receive two emails.

The first email says that your application has been received and you must
wait for approval by the administrators (Jennifer, Zora and Laura)

The second email will let you know that you are approved. You can then login
and get started!

HOW TO LOGIN ONCE YOU HAVE JOINED

Every time you want to visit the site go to www.communityzero.com/foodshare
<http://www.communityzero.com/foodshare>

Enter your email address or user name and password and proceed with the
workshop.

A FEW TIPS

§         The success of the workshop depends on everyone’s regular
participation – so please login every few days to look at the readings and
contribute to the discussions.

§         In order to have effective online discussions the key is to stay
on topic. It is best to keep a discussion thread on the same topic as much
as possible and to start a new discussion thread with a new question or
topic. As facilitators we will be making sure that the discussions are
organized and up-to-date. There is more info about this on the webpage once
you are logged in.

PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS?

If you ever have technical problems or questions please contact
info@foodshare.net <mailto:info@foodshare.net>  to see if we can help

thanks,
Jennifer, Zora& Laura

Check out our website at http://www.foodshare.net
for program info, food-related events & workshops.

Jennifer Reynolds
Online Education Coordinator
FoodShare Toronto
238 Queen St. W.