Re: fences and theft

  • Subject: Re: [cg] fences and theft
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:58:26 EDT

To quote the Robert Frost poem: "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors"

In our experience over the last 25 years at the CCG in the midst of NYC it
had been essential to have a large front garden keyed gate ( which is then
overlocked at night with a chain and padlock at night and on days when the ice is
dangerous.) as well as a back garden fence whose two locks are keyed so only
gardeners and their guests can get it.  The main garden shed is kept locked
(with keys for volunteers and folks who maintain volunteer beds) but an attached
lean-to with the less expensive replacable hoes, pitchforks, clippers, etc is
kept open.  Of course dangerous or expensive stuff like our chipper shredder
and our bee keeping equipment are locked up as well.

Accessibility to the front garden space is managed by monthly key
distribution to neighborhood residents (we currently have 4,000 keys available in the
neighborhood) and an open gate policy on weekends and holidays when a responsible
volunteer or steering committee member is present.  The back garden is locked
due to issues of theft and vandalism.

All human communities have individuals whose behavior is inimical to the
order that a community garden needs.  A good fence and reasonable security
procedures helps minimize the damage that these anti-social individuals can wreak. To
read how this works, please go to  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A>

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman