Re: fences and theft

  • Subject: Re: [cg] fences and theft
  • From: LTanenb50@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:10:06 EDT

In our community garden in Chicago theft has been an ongoing issue for some of our over 100 gardeners for ever.  Not only do the deer jump the 4' fence and tromp and eat their way thru - but evidently people take stuff too.  So it's been painful to argue against locks on the entry gate, barbed wire on 8' tall fences - which we still do not have.  This year the members voted for name tags to be worn at the garden.

My husband and I discovered this garden of 102 plots hidden in the rear of a former TB sanitarium and now multi-functional area - years ago.  We traipsed thru the gardens admiring the very different ways people displayed and grew their plots.  Its how we stumbled on someone who gave us her plot (no longer posssible thru rules).  I've been heart broken at the slow march towards keeping everyone and everything out of the space except "legit" garden members.  I also sympathize with my best friend at the garden who came from Russia with nothing and who cries when she finds her hard work stolen.  It just hurts her heart too much.  What a sadness the issue brings all the way around....  Laurie

Laurie Tanenbaum
Grounds For Growth