Re: Fences / Gardening in Alaska & Further North

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Fences / Gardening in Alaska & Further North
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 08:09:49 EDT

Was yours the Alaskan garden that went on this listserve for someone to park
adjacent in a trailer and watch the place? If so, did you finally get your

Also, could you tell us more, please,  about how you garden way up north,
your growing season, what your garden community is like?

Many of us, in the lower 48, have visions of Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, the
Iditerod and "Northern Exposure" to dissipate.  Your line, "  Good fences make
good neighbors.  The gardeners are happy and the drug dealers and their
children aren't bothered by ranting gardeners complaining about missing cabbages,"
sounds just like New York City.

FYI: You may not be the most northern community garden that we've heard from.
If you go  to the links page of the ACGA website  <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community Gardening Association</A>
(http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html#Gardens)  you'll see that
your garden is second from the top in alphabetic order, but if you scroll down,
to Canada, there is an amazing web page for the Inuvik Community Greenhouse in
the Canadian Northern Territories.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman,
Closer to the equator at the