fences and good neighbors

  • Subject: [cg] fences and good neighbors
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:11:27 -0400

All the tales from the zucchini police were enlightening.  Saddest of all
was the one from Fairbanks, about how the drug dealers and their children
don't need to listen to ranting gardeners about stolen cabbages...  The last
frontier is polluted with our general lack of courtesy.  For my lawn,
breaking down and buying a chain link fence is now a necessity.  We are in a
relatively middle-class city neighborhood but the kids cut across the lawn,
through flowers, not around the walk.  I don't want to discontinue the
school bus stop which has been in the same place for 20 years, since my
boyfriend's kids attended school over a decade ago, because my car is full
of posters in the back window and bumper stickers for thought.  How else can
we reach the drug dealers kids?  My car in the driveway is the most
political thing they know.

SAD state of affairs but nothing new, my late father-in-law had the problem
in the 1950's across from Camden H.S. in New Jersey.  His fence was only 4
ft. so after his death in 1961 the kids took to jumping the fence to destroy
the organic fruit trees.  Maybe some of the former students remember that
garden and are part of the people in Camden trying to do a community garden.

Helen Steely
Hbg., Pa.