Re: fences and good neighbors

  • Subject: Re: [cg] fences and good neighbors
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:35:43 EDT

Education and positive change are difficult and incremental at best.  That is
why our society pays so much lip service to the ideal, but defunds the
process whenever it thinks people aren't paying attention to it - which seems to be
most of the time.

However, education and evolution does happen.  Ran into a fairly rough
neighborhood kid who is now a cop at the  peace rally last February.  My group was
trying to get over to the UN and his job was to keep us away from it.  As he
moved us along third avenue, he said, " I remember you, mister, from the garden
on 48th Street.  I was peeing through the fence, like I always did on the way
home from school, and you and a bunch of grow-ups told me it might kill one of
the plants and  asked me how I would feel if I was peed on.  And at the time,
you guys were so big (the cop now towers over me by a good foot) I half
believed that you were going to pee on me!  Funny, it made me think about what I
was doing, consequences of actions, stuff..."

Incremental change and education - it does happen.

Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] fences and good neighbors