fences and neighbors/multicultural veggies

  • Subject: [cg] fences and neighbors/multicultural veggies
  • From: "lisa vandyke" vandykelisa@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 22:17:45 -0500

Hi - it's not just a southern thing. My old garden had a four foot fence (the veggie, herb part of it), with a gate that was never locked. Later I added another two gates, one always locked (on the alley, next to the compost bins - strange people dumping odd refuse in the compost...), and one another open, welcoming gate. Never had much vandalism - kept it very tidy and pretty, occasionally we had overnight guests. Most folks really respected the space. The garden is located on a pretty tough, heavily trafficked street, lots of chroic inebriates and several low income highrises are across the alley. Of course - noone realized it was a 'community garden', they probably thought that it was private property...

best to all, Lisa in Mpls.

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden