Re: fences and neighbors/multicultural veggies

  • Subject: Re: [cg] fences and neighbors/multicultural veggies
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 22:00:53 -0700

Well even in Jordan Ave. Community Garden Ventura California we only have a 3 1/2 foot fence (almost three sides, the remainder fence line is adjacent to our two neighbor's backyards which we built to a standard height) and haven't had any vandalism or theft from the "outside".

A couple of "inside" jobs based on the evidence we found. At our garden opening we create community mosaic stepping stones which we placed in front of our tool shed in order to prevent the mulch from impeding with the operation of the doors opening and closing. We found one missing the day after 9/11 (very intrusive at the time) and three more a couple of days later. What we found that concluded that it was truly an inside job was that there was dirt kicked up in the inside railings of the shed which indicated that someone opened the tool shed and removed a shovel and dug out the stepping stones and placed the shovel back. Of course our tool shed is locked and the only people who have the combo are gardeners. Hmmmm....

Needless to say we removed the rest of the stones and poured a cement slab and then did the mosaic work on top of that (about 300 lbs worth). The person we suspected (we hated even the thought of it) was later than dismissed fromt the garden for pesticide use. Nothing else was taken from that point on or any offenses of pesticide use.

Deborah Mills
Green Cure, Inc.