RE: Social Justice, Unions, and Starbucks

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Social Justice, Unions, and Starbucks
  • From: "John Richmond" <johnrichmond50@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:36:00 -0400

Specifically to "Tio Adan," also opened up to anyone else with a take on this, even to Walter, whose apparent acceptance of the necessity of war and corporate capitalism give his argument as much consistency as anyone else's, and that's OK --

Is the lesson of you experiences with unions and large corporations that one should avoid large permanent organizations at all costs? I have asked myself this question on a daily basis over the last year; for my planned urban intentional community serving developmentally disabled adults in a self-sufficient, resource-sharing environment, I don't want to accept large corporate contributions for the start-up. I have friends who want to be involved who extend this boycott of sorts to government agencies. I think not accepting government money is going too far because it's much less problematic to criticize the government even while taking their money, but who's to know where to draw the line?

For Jodi I also have a question -- given your distaste for Starbucks, would you accept compost from them, even on the condition that you will have no part in promoting their generosity?

Richmond, VA
who has finally gotten two friends together to stake a claim on a plot at Tricycle Gardens, our neighborhood garden in its first full year of operation.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org