Paul Robeson Tomato & the Fall of the Former Soviet Union

  • Subject: [cg] Paul Robeson Tomato & the Fall of the Former Soviet Union
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:34:22 EDT

The "Paul Robeson" Tomato is Russian by the way and as soon as I find some started at the NYC's  Union Square Greenmarket, I will plant them again this year, my seed starting having been disrupted at home due to distraction...etc.

Here is the link for the "Paul Robeson" tomato, in case you are intersted in ordering the seeds. Southern Exposure - Paul Robeson Tomato

74 days. (Indeterminate) [Russian heirloom. Original seed sent to SESE by Marina Danilenko, a Moscow seedswoman. The tomato was named after Paul Robeson, operatic vocal artist who was an advocate of equal rights for Blacks. His artistry was appreciated world-wide, especially in the Soviet Union, and hence this tomato bearing his name.] 'Paul Robeson' is a 'black' tomato. Like other 'black' tomatoes the fruit is more of a dusky dark red with dark green dusky shoulders. Fruits weigh an average of 6 oz., and measure 2 in. tall and 3-1/4" wide. Borne 2 to a cluster, flavor is excellent. Pkt.

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: Re: [cg] Chicago: Heirloom Plant Sale