Fwd: Re: Allotment or Community Garden models

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: Re: Allotment or Community Garden models
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:01:30 -0400

Date:    Tue, 11 May 2004 00:18:51 +0200
From:    Carol Jensen <jorna@MOBILIXNET.DK>
Subject: Re: Allotment or Community Garden models

In Denmark we have only the first model, but it is different, because people build houses on their plot. It is mostly for people in apartments and people who work like to sleep out there, to sit on a warm summer evening with a Danish flag and a good dinner with beer and snaps and enjoy after a hard day's weeding.

This is Danish culture in a nutshell...

I would not at all like the second model. A bit of individualism is a good thing, I think.

P.S. Loads of people simply move into their allotment houses and give up the apartment. This is illegal, but then Danes have a streak of anarchy in their genes. Especially pensionists do this, having used a lot of money and time to make the house tip-top.