Ukiah California: Nuestra Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Ukiah California: Nuestra Garden
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:24:43 EDT

Ukiah Daily Journal

Letting the earth be the teacher
Gardening against GMOs
By MARK HEDGES/The Daily Journal

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 -

On Saturday a number of green-thumbed philosophers converged on Nuestra Casa for a series of gardening workshops entitled "Reclaim the Commons: Organic Gardening & Community Building."

In teaching the science -- and art -- of organic gardening, Indigo Donaldson, Marisha Farnsworth, Luke Anderson and Fred Marshall were also teaching a philosophy of changing the world for the better.

First, permaculture teacher and practitioner Indigo Donaldson led a hands-on organic gardening demonstration. Next, Marisha Farnsworth talked about native plants and their uses.

Then the author of the book "Genetic Engineering, Food and Our Environment" spoke about a grassroots organization known as "Reclaim the Commons" which is dedicated to creating positive alternatives to the biotech industry.

Lastly, longtime Mendocino College instructor Fred Marshall gave a talk about composting and healthy soil.

The event was coordinated by Sam Kircher, Nuestra Casa's garden manager.

"This was the start of a larger project," said Nuestra Casa Executive Director Vicki Patterson. "We're going to be gardening about three different locations -- here at Nuestra Casa, at Yokayo School and Mendocino County Office of Education."

At Nuestra Casa, the garden will be primarily a "salsa garden," Patterson said. "We're going to produce and market our own salsa to sell at farmers' market and possibly other venues."

At Yokayo Elementary School Patterson said kids from Nuestra Casa's day camp will be helping tend the school garden throughout the summer.

As for Saturday's kick-off event, Patterson said that the featured speakers "were part of a group of individuals who are all interested in bringing organic gardening and sensitivity to the land and peace and justice issues together.

"They're such an enthusiastic bunch of young people," Patterson added. "They're really a pleasure to be around. They're really interested in peace and justice issues and we, in turn, were interested in promoting organic gardening. We're going to be giving workshops to Latino families about the importance of organic gardening and a healthy environment."

Along with providing more gardening workshops completely in Spanish, Patterson said Nuestra Casa will be putting on classes in nutrition, Mexican food cooking and food preservation.