weather resistant signs

  • Subject: [cg] weather resistant signs
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds <aedmonds@umich.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:43:31 -0400

I've located an excellent-- though expensive-- product for making garden labels that are easy and waterproof, and it can be used also for signs and important messages on bulletin boards. It's never-tear paper, and xerox makes one. I wasn't able to find it locally in 8.5 x 11 form (I've seen it in small bound field notebooks), but got it directly from Xerox-- $50US + shipping for 100 sheets. Search for "never tear" on the xerox web site. If you have a printer with waterproof ink (I'm still experimenting-- my Epson C80 Inkjet supposedly is archival & waterproof) you can print right onto the paper, which is nice because you can print photos, symbols, etc.

In my parts I use a regular corkboard which lasts a while, though not permanently. Also, in one location we use plywood painted with "chalk-board paint" (comes in spray or liquid form) and just use chalk to communicate-- simply, easy, cheap, though not permanent.

Hope this helps...

Amanda Maria Edmonds
Executive Director, Growing Hope

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
-Mahatma Ghandi