RE: Ideas needed for gleaner

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Ideas needed for gleaner
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 20:02:11 -0500

Sandy,
Perhaps you can build your own cooler.

Option 1: Build a wooden box the exact size needed.  I would make it 15 %
larger to accomodate future needs.
          Line the box with Styrofoam sheets purchased at Craft stores,
K-Marts, Walmarts, etc.
          Close it up with a wooden top with styrofoam attached to it.
Option 2: Purchase 2 different size Tupperware type plastic closeable
storage units.  If you have associates who
          have corporate connections, perhaps you can acquire styrofoam
peanuts uses for protecting items shipped.
	    Pour a layer of these peanuts in the bottom of the larger storage unit.
Place the smaller unit inside it.
          Pour more peanuts between the small unit and larger one.  Place
your vegetables inside the small unit. Close
          it up and place the larger unit's top in place as well.

An option to Option 2 :) is to use canned insulating foam instead of
styrofoam peanuts (Lowes, Home Depot...).

Most of these items can be donated to build your coolers only by writing a
letter from your organization to the
perspective business.  The letter must be on your organization's letterhead.

Hope this helps,  Jim