RE: insurance

  • Subject: RE: [cg] insurance
  • From: "Corrie Zoll" <czoll@greeninstitute.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:43:23 -0500

I've been off the list for awhile.  For some reason, every month or so
my e-mail provider drops my address from the community garden mailing
list.  By the time I realize that something's amiss, I've missed out on
weeks of this wonderful ongoing conversation.

I even missed out on your very thoughtful replies to my request just a
few months ago for information on this very same insurance issue.
Thanks to list manager Anna Wasescha for getting these massages
forwarded to me. I've done a lot of homework since then, and it's about
time for an update.

Here in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, An organization called the Sustainable
Resources Center sadly closed down its community gardening program last
December after providing direct service to community gardens for 30
years.

With the demise of this program, more than 50 community gardens in the
metropolitan area lost their liability insurance coverage.  SRC had been
able to provide liability insurance at the very inexpensive rate of $35
per garden per year.

After learning of this loss of coverage in December, gardeners were
shocked to learn that replacing this coverage through their own
insurance companies would cost anywhere from $100 to $1200 per garden
per year.

My organization currently owns and insures three community gardens.  Our
premium is $121 per year.  I was able to put together a stop-gap
insurance plan and added new gardens to our existing policy at the same
rate, plus an administrative fee o cover my time on the project.

And so I'm offering to insure gardens through October 2004 for $132.
About a dozen gardens responded to this offer.  These were generally the
larger, more organized gardens with more resources.

$132 is still pretty darn cheap for liability insurance, but it's a big
leap from $35.  I know of at least one garden group that decided they'd
rather garden their space without permission and without insurance than
pay such a large fee.

Frankly, the insurance doesn't cover much.  The insurance protects MY
organization if something that happens in one of these gardens can be
shown to be as a result of OUR negligence.  No coverage for a gardener
who steps on a rake and whacks their forehead, and no coverage when the
garden shed gets up and walks away during the night.

The only reason these garden groups get insurance is to satisfy the
requirements of the lease agreements with their property owners (the
City, the County, the School Board, private owners, etc.)

The system is far from working well.

I am hoping to receive a grant from the McKnight Foundation to hire a
full-time staff person who will work under me and will spend the next
year developing a sustainability plan for community gardens in the Twin
Cities. I'll find out next month.  I am hoping that this project will
identify a more sustainable long-term solution for commuity gardens in
the Twin Cities.

 ACGA board member Anna Wasescha and ACGA general member Vicky Vogels
will work closely with me to oversee the development of this plan, and
I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it (If I can stay subscribed to
this list, that is).

Corrie Zoll
Minneapolis