Fwd: Ideas for community gardening social events and fundraisers?

  • Subject: Fwd: [cg] Ideas for community gardening social events and fundraisers?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:50:48 EDT

As your "Tricycle" community garden is sweet invite the local agricultural
extension folks, ministers, church leaders, folks involved in running the soup
kitchens and pantries, and local community activist people in your area to a
garden party.

If you have some garden clubs near you, have them come by,  But what will be
key is getting retired residents, mothers and people just plain fed-up with
feral, burnt out lots to see your garden, and get the idea that they too can
clean up a space, get soil amendments and plant it if they break their backs,
develop fundraising skills, and get the idea that " a community garden is a
public space created by some neighborhood residents for the surrounding
neighborhood."

And the definition and design of that garden has to be what the people on
that block wants, otherwise they won't support it and maintain it.

By all means, have a nice garden party in the "Tricycle," for funders, etc.
but the real thing is to have garden parties respecting your volunteers, and
bringing in the "others," i.e., funders, politicians, city officials, to take
part in it.  You finished a garden path, put up some raised beds, or the
Magnolias are in bloom.

The Clinton Community Garden has celebrations and please feel free to go to
our website, http://clintoncommunitygarden.org for our events page. We started
off with our Fall and Spring Clean ups, centered around work - and we send out
for pizza and drinks for the volunteers. Then it evolved in to our late
summer pot-luck honoring volunteers past and present.  Then we got a Summer
Solstice Celebration that we opened up to the entire city, a 4th of July Picnic for
ourselves and the many new immigrants to America our garden attracts, and a
"Heroes Picnic," annually thanking our cops, firemen and EMS workers for the work
that they do for us all year, which grew out of a fundraiser for the families
of Firemen from our neighbhood houses that died on 9/11.

In other words, have something that serves and is significant to your garden
communty that you bring neighbors, funders and city officials to.  It becomes
more important and valuable.

To have other folks get the gardening bug  - invite local clergy and
volunteer workers in the neighborhoods you think might benefit from having community
gardens.  Sometimes it catches, sometimes it doesn't.  But if you have a great
community garden that is welcoming to visitors, someday you will get someone
walking in who will say, "I can do that!"

And maybe someone will.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,