Dealing with Deer?

  • Subject: [cg] Dealing with Deer?
  • From: "Garden Project" gardenproject@ingham.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:41:13 -0400

We have one community garden site that is surrounded by woods and we
lose quite a bit of produce each year to deer and groundhogs.  We've
tried a deer fence around the garden last year that lasted about a week
before they broke through.  Many gardeners put up their own fence around
the individual plots, but we still lost a lot to the animals.  This can
be really disappointing for gardeners who have worked hard all season.

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to keep the
deer and groundhogs out?  Any suggestions for cover crops or something
else we could plant around the edges that might satisfy the deer and
keep them from coming farther in?

Sarah Halter
Community Garden Organizer

The Garden Project