Pawtucket, RI: Community Garden Sprouts in Attleboro

  • Subject: [cg] Pawtucket, RI: Community Garden Sprouts in Attleboro
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 06:28:42 EDT

Pawtucket Times
Community garden sprouts in Attleboro
David Casey

ATTLEBORO - Besides bushels of organic fruits and vegetables, the Attleboro
Area Community Garden was designed to cultivate community spirit.
Since 1998 the urban oasis has been bringing people of all nationalities,
ethic, socioeconomic and levelsof gardening expertise to an excavated,
municipally-owned parking lot in downtown Attleboro. Today, the garden will host its
seventh season opening from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the corner of Hayward and
Hodges Streets.

Garden Coordinator Mark Pechenik said the garden has gained momentum over the
years, exceeded its founders' admittedly idealistic hopes and expectations.

"In 1998 there were more minority groups moving into the city and myself and
a small group of concerned citizens came up with the garden concept as a way
to bring these disparate elements of a diverse community together. We've had
all people from all walks of life, from a husband and wife pair who had both
been raised on a farm, to people who didn't know the color of dirt. We've had
people of Hispanic, African and Asian descent, immigrants and locals, girl scouts
and the mentally and physically disabled. If anything, we've gotten more
diverse over the years."

Back in the late 1990s then- Mayor Judy Robbins pledged her support to the
group on condition that it operate it community garden under the umbrella of a
reputable non-profit organization.

Shortly thereafter the Attleboro Area Community Garden was born; a joint
venture of the Attleboro Land Trust, of which Pechenik's group became a committee,
and the City of Attleboro, which provided the land, compost and an on-site
water tank. Without the city's help, said Pechenik, the project would have had a
difficult time finding a parcel of land that wasn't contaminated with the
by-products of Attleboro's thriving, once-unregulated jewelry manufacturing

The garden itself consists of 36 four by nine-foot plots - large enough to
grow plenty of fresh produce, small enough to be accessible to the elderly and
physically handicapped.

Interested gardeners are invited to stop by the garden site Saturday
afternoon to resister for a plot, or two, or three. All registrants are required to
sign a contract and provide a $10 donation for the purchase of soil, seeds and
tools. Some plots are leased by solitary gardeners, whole families and local
organizations such as the local chapter of ARC (Association of Retarded
Children) and Fresh Start, an organization committed to immigrant assimilation.

Vegetables range from the conventional to the extraordinary.

"We have some plots with just flowers, some with kale, carrots and tomatoes,"
said Pechenik. "One year we had Cambodian family of expert farmers. I don't
know what they were growing, but it looked really good."

Plots are usually available after opening day, but pickings are typically
slim. The plots are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis, with the plots
closest to the water tank going first.

After their garden is planted gardeners have unlimited access to their plots.
There are no fences - the idea is to have an open, public garden - and the
only rule is that everything must be grown organically - no pesticides or
Miracle Grow allowed.

Pechenik said he sees some minor picking late in the season - homeless and
hungry people will occasionally grab a vegetable here and there - but the
community, by and large, respects the garden.

Vandalism and large-scale looting, he said, is almost nonexistent.

"This garden was conceived as a way to bring the community together, to give
people of different backgrounds an activity that would be mutually
interesting," said Pechenik. "I think this garden is a symbol of that cooperation."