Re: Dealing with deer

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Dealing with deer
  • From: Jennifer L Barricklow barricklow@juno.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:08:24 -0400

I've had great success using dandelions and borage as edging crops to
satisfy the local groundhog. Both are self-sowing (read: cheap) and
virtually indestructible, as long as the root remains. Our whistlepig
seems to be especially fond of the dandelion flowers, but the borage she
eats down to the crown. The dandelions are in the grass she has to cross
to get from her burrow to the garden beds, and the borage forms a kind of
buffer or border within the beds themselves, about 6 inches deep. Since
we discovered this combination, we've had no groundhog damage to anything
else in the garden. Now if we could only find some way to keep the
raccoons out of the corn . . .

As far as deer go, I don't have any personal experience, but anecdotal
evidence from others suggests that hostas are very high on the deer list
of preferred foods. As hostas spread well and are easily propagated by
division, they might be a good choice for a relatively inexpensive,
low-maintenance deer border. I do know of several people who have had
great success keeping deer out of their wood-surrounded yards by
stringing fishing line around the perimeter about 36" above the ground.
The deer don't see it, and it really freaks them out when they bump into
it. It's also pretty inexpensive to put up and maintain, and it's not an
eyesore.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Jennifer Barricklow
Lexington, KY