RE: Inner Cities With Lead

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Inner Cities With Lead
  • From: "Pohl-Kosbau, Leslie" PKLESLIE@ci.portland.or.us
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:23:15 -0700

We test our soil in Portland Community Gardens whether the new garden is to
be in a park or not. We are a bit more lucky in that much of our land is
still usable, that is, except for our superfund sites along the river, and
the occasional area once used to process batteries. We do have lead in and
around some of our housing stock. Disclosure is always the better way to go,
and testing done before any garden opens. Sometimes land cannot be used for
gardening. In some cases, I try to piggyback on large reclamation projects
that involve the Housing Authority or other deep pockets if it is possible.

Leslie Pohl-Kosbau
Portland Community Gardens
Portland Parks and Recreation