New Apartment Garden - Next steps?

  • Subject: [cg] New Apartment Garden - Next steps?
  • From: "msparis" msparis@gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:50:12 -0400

Good morning! I've begun a community garden at my apartment complex with the
blessing of the owners and management. This is VERY new -- there are no com
gardens in our county and this is my first time being involved in one. I'd
love some information on getting some funding as well as some smaller
issues.

We will need funding for communal tools, mulch/path barriers, raised bed
materials, compost, a domain name and hosting, and possibly some items we've
not yet thought of. We plan on approaching Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's and
Target, but I am not sure how to word a formal letter to them asking for
assistance! I'd also like to know other sources of both money and materials
(especially those sources that have been proven winners). Oh! we also need a
rain barrel or water storage unit.

Secondly, we need some ideas for starting our plots. We *just* finished
marking our garden area. It is about 130 feet long (alley style) and we
marked 16 plots. Each plot is 5' by 10' with 3' walkways between and 5'
walkways on the north and south end of the garden. (hmm that might not be
clear.. see illustration here:
http://img74.echo.cx/img74/364/plotlayout6fs.png ) The area is good ol' red
mud/clay laden with small rocks, some grass, some weeds. It slopes at about
a 20-30 degree angle. Could you please give some suggestions for best
practices for: starting the *raised beds*, controlling the paths, etc.

Thanks!