Need help on the web poll to save my dog park project -- andprobably the community garden in another year

  • Subject: [cg] Need help on the web poll to save my dog park project -- andprobably the community garden in another year
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:14:20 -0400

Hi, Folks!

As many of you know, besides being Coordinator of St. John's United Church
of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth, I'm the founder and
President of Friends of Reservoir Dogs! Park has been working very hard for
the past two years to bring Reservoir Dogs! Park to Phoenixville, PA - which
is not only supposed to be a dog park, but a riparian restoration project to
restore a section of the Schuylkill River to its pre-Colonial woodland
habitat.

At the 5/22 Phoenixville Borough Parks/Committee meeting, with only 6 weeks
to the "go live date" (now 5 weeks), the (Democratic) Borough Council added
47% to the Friends of Reservoir Dogs! Park's budget as a "condition to
open."  The rumor mill says that this is a ploy to politically destroy my
VP, who is the son of a prominent Republican politician (in spite of this
[;-)], both mother and son are really great people that are unwavering in
their support for the environment and farmland/garden preservation) so that
he never gets a foothold in local politics, and as a "two-fer" to prove that
I am incapable of managing a project (this in spite of running a community
garden for 16 years AND creating a 48 foot turf/herb labyrinth that is
becoming the primary "meditation spot" in the area [it's actually starting
to fill in nicely - I'm hoping to have pictures by mid-summer once the
heirloom nasturtiums that Seed Savers Exchange donated start flowering!] so
that local who is the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Chester County
Housing Authority can take the community garden's land for his building
project because I'm "incompetent."  The idea is to slap me down now so that
I'm unable to continue to mobilize community support (which has been going
at a pretty nice clip - including personal visits by prominent community
members to said Housing Authority Chair saying "What's happening to you?")
to save the community garden when the lease expires in another two years.

Naturally, I'm not taking this well! ;-P  (Anyone here surprised? ;-D)

However, our local paper, The Phoenix, has now has the following web poll on
their website at http://www.phoenixvillenews.com which states:

"Should there be any requirements for use of the Reservoir Dogs! Park?"

The choices are:

-No, parks should be free, and the Friends have done enough.

-The Friends should also contribute for extra insurance

-Individual users should pay every time

-Use restricted to members paying monthly fees and using keycards

Web Rap is included in the extreme left-hand column, right under the section
listings for the website.  I know that web polls aren't even the beginning
of scientific, but at this point 1) I'm desperate and 2) I wrote the DCED
grant for the dog park as part of the Phoenixville revitalization effort -
the idea that a dog park will attract visitors and be a "point of interest"
that helps put Phoenixville on the map.  So, interest from folks not even
close to Phoenixville is appropriate - and definitely wanted.  And, if The
Phoenix sees that this issue generates interest and eyeballs on their
website, they will keep supporting it.

So, please go to http://www.phoenixvillenews  and vote in this week's Web
Rap poll. Of course, I would suggest you vote for the first listed option
"No, parks should be free, and the Friends have done enough."

BTW, it appears that Web Rap actually allows you to vote once every day.

Thank you so much for your support.  I know that this group will COMPLETELY
understand what I'm going through!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

And