Community Gardens

My name is Rob Buscaglia.  I'm a high school teacher at a small college
prep school in Philadelphia, PA USA.  I am a project coordinator for a
student service project called Ayudanica - which focuses on working with
the people of a small rural community in northwest Nicaragua.  Over the
past 3 years we have built and improved on a small community library,
computer center, and pre-school.  We have also created several literacy
programs and workshops in computers.

We are now focusing our attention of the nutritional needs of the
community, which are fairly drastic.  The unemployment rate is over 50%
and the average family (6 people) sustain themselves on cheap local
bread, rice and beans.  Aside from some local fruit trees, there is a
complete absence of produce in their diets.

The project team and I would like to educate ourselves about community
gardening and work with the people in the community to plan and
establish a garden that might provide better nutritional opportunities
for the people there.

We are looking for any information that might help us get started/become
more informed.  Websites, books, workshops, educational programs, etc.

Any info you could pass our way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Rob Buscaglia
Nicaragua Service Project (Ayudanica)
Holy Ghost Preparatory School