Here's our garden:

Here's a  vignette for you:

 Since our beginning in 1978, the Clinton Community Garden ("CCG") has been
the site of hundreds of birthday parties,  weddings, memorial services,
dance & music concerts, poetry readings and the like. We just  ask  garden
keyholders ( we have over 2000 keyholders)  to fill out a CCG events
application about a month in advance so the steering committee can approve
or disapprove the application, avoid scheduling conflicts etc..  We also try
to have a steering committee member present to help minimize garden wear and
tear, help organize the clean-up.

Their application approved, a nice couple showed up for their  wedding with
friends, food, gifts and began to set up on the west lawn according to plan.
As the committee member present, I continued my garden chores, pruning the
rose bushes and  weeding morning glories until I felt a tap on my shoulder.

It was the best man.

Evidently we had a sitution: neither the minister nor the musicians had
arrived and the cheese & crackers and beverages were running out. Could I
possibly say a few words to the assembled, do  a small service so the day's
activities could proceed? The couple had already been married in City Hall,
would be doing a ceremony in a church in Northern England for their parents
- this was for their US friends. "Why me?," I asked. "You're a middle aged
bearded man who probably owns a suit and have been to a few weddings, Can
you  help us out?"
I explained that being Jewish, I knew that service best, but if he hummed a
few bars I could fake a non-denominational.

 Not to be deterred, the best man pressed on
"All the better, the city clerk chap  was a Pakistani M, oslem, we'll do C
of E  in England - all the montheistic religions are covered - will you do

Did I have a choice?

I threw a few bucks into the refreshment fund told him to give me 45 minutes
to clean up and come back.

I returned in coat and tie, the Reform Union Prayerbook in hand with my then
11 year old son Daniel ,also in coat and tie,  in tow. Daniel had just given
a violin recital at his music school, had some Bach & Handel left in his
hands and volunteered to play. We were in luck: the refreshments had just
lasted. The bride and groom looked highly relieved.

Daniel started to play, the bridal party walked down the lawn. Palms
sweating, with hastily written  piece of paper in them with the bride and
groom's names on it,  I began,  "Dearly beloved...."

The good feeling in the group, the obvious affection of the bride and groom,
the birds,  and the magic lushness of the garden in mid spring took over.
Somehow  my mouth kept moving and the goodwill of the group and Daniel's
fiddle supported us all. The "I do's" went off without a hitch.

Endless joy.

According to the best man, a neighborhood bachelor,  the couple is still
married. I'll take the odds.

Adam Honigman
Bowne Publishing Division
345 Hudson Street