starting a community garden

Hello, My friend and I are interested in starting a Community Garden in our area. I have been doing research on the internet and was wondering if anyone could help me obtain a packet or source of information to help us.
This is my first time visiting this list and I'm not sure where to begin.
We want to purchase a plot of land, hopefully through grants and donations, primarily to educate children on organic gardening and respecting the ecosystem.
ANY information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Cristie