RE: Ag extortionists & botanical gardeneers

Martha,

were you on line during the prison-farm melee?  are you a closet nihilist?
can you imagine if we all start openly discussing our relationships with
Cooperative Extortion and Botanic Gardeneers?  i shudder to think!  who
knows what kind of irreparable damage may ensue!?!

on the other hand, i'm no chicken farmer.  thankfully, Adam already gave you
a helpful answer, leaving me free for stream-of-consciousness email, which
is my favorite kind.  he has this thing about research and details that i've
never gotten the knack of.

speaking as a service provider here in the temporarily frozen South, i am
forced to coexist with the Atlanta Urban Garden Program (AUGP) whom you may
know (and who also subscribes to this list-serve), and the Atlanta Botanical
Garden (ABG) which you may have visited.  these are my friends and peers and
competitors.

Since i'm in a terrible rush i'll get right to the point.  here, advocating
neighborhood greening is not part of the ABG's mission, and their work does
not take them off-campus, so to speak.  in other words, they aren't in the
game.

now the AUGP, conversely, are players.  the way it works here is that AUGP
and my program provide services at the request/invitation of the gardeners.
if we are both asked to help out somewhere then we do, although we try not
to duplicate efforts.  coincidentally, there are gardens that tap just one
of us (then again, there are community gardens that could give a flip about
either of us).  we have not developed a joint strategy, and so far haven't
found the need for one, although now that i mention it the idea sounds kind
of good.  we also provide referrals to each other as the situation dictates.

the way you phrase your question, you're asking if diverse services are
offered by these separate providers?  or is the operative word "enjoy"?
naturally, you stand to benefit from every relationship you have with
community building organizations in your area.  i think it's much to their
advantage to have a relationship with you, also.  keep in mind that there
may be several other greening organizations worth investigating, aside from
the two you mention.

is there a prize on this list-serve for using the most words to say the
least information?  some days you just feel like typing, you know?

fgc
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW