youth garden curricula

Dear Stacy,

Here a couple of guides I've found useful in our middle school program:

Food for Thought:  Lessons from the Land (put out by Sonoma County
Agricultural Literacy Project).  It's geared towards grades 3-6, but I found
it useful for older grades as well.

The Growing Classroom (Roberta Jaffe, Gary Appel, published by Addison
Wesley).  Curriculum from LifeLab in Santa Cruz, the all-purpose,
we-have-lessons-on-just-about-everything.  Aimed at K-6.

French Fries and the Food System:  A year-round curriculum connecting youth
with farming and food (Sara Coblyn, a publication of the Food Project,
www.thefoodproject.org).  More aimed at middle and high school.

A special bonus:  one of my all time favorites to use with kids is Paul
Fleischman's Seedfolks, a short novel told from the point of view of a
diverse group of people who make a community garden out of an abandoned lot.

Good luck!  I'd love to know what you come up with.

Nancy Davenport
Youth Engaged in Service
East Bay Conservation Corps
(510) 992-7832 phone
(510) 992-7962 fax

The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of the organization's services for community gardens. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to www.communitygarden.org.