boulevard gardens

  • Subject: [cg] boulevard gardens
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" <ariel@tc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:51:40 -0600

To any of you out there in the community gardening community who have experience in the area of boulevard gardens
Please help me convince the City of Saint Paul Public Works Department that rocks, timbers and other garden elements on boulevards are not a public safety hazard.
Saint Paul has allowed boulevard gardening for several years, but recently an elderly person complained about difficulty being dropped off because of the rocks edging a boulevard garden.
Public Works has responded with a huge litany of dangers involved in having anything except soft grass or soft plant material on these boulevards.  This includes the fact that you can twist your ankle on rocks, you can fall of your skateboard and land on the rocks, and kids can take those rocks and put them in the middle of the street.  The dark scenario they spin winds up with the old familiar threat of a law suit against the City that, no matter which way it turns out, will cost them enormous sums of money.
If any of your cities promote boulevard gardens and have any literature, evidence, policies or history of experience with boulevard gardening which would counter this attempt to rid boulevards of any hardscape, please let me know.
For those of you who know the Twin Cities, Minneapolis has had a "Blooming Boulevards" program for years and it has transformed the City.  We'll be using their experience to bolster our campaign, but we can use all the help we can get.
Anna Wasescha
Farm in the City
1312 Dayton Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota  55104-6440