Re: FW: Greetings, Community Gardens, and County Agencies

  • Subject: Re: [cg] FW: Greetings, Community Gardens, and County Agencies
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:30:18 EST

I don't have an answer to Liz, (I take refuge in the broccoli, I take refuge
in the lettuce, I take refuse to the compost...?), but here in Charlotte,
neither supports community gardens, and there is no statewide organization
supporting community gardening. The promise of the Clinton years and USDA are
nowhere to be seen, statewide. A church supports our only active community
garden group.

On the other hand, our county waste management has done the best ecological
work locally with their composting program, now expanded to include native
plants and cutting pesticides. Coop extension was supportive of that for a
while, but then a 'good' agent left and a nozzlehead took her place. A couple
of Maste Gardeners, however, are potential community garden supporters. So, I
guess the short answer in this part of NC (and I'm afraid the whole state) is
none of the above.