Re: FW: Greetings, Community Gardens, and County Agencies

  • Subject: Re: [cg] FW: Greetings, Community Gardens, and County Agencies
  • From: MSAL4444@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:06:32 EST

Our Cooperative Extension in Milwaukee County develops and manages most of
the community gardens here.  Most of their plots are not raised beds and they
usually are 20x20 or 30x30 in size.  Water sources are usually located a
distance from plots (usually hydrants).  The problem for them, of course, is
tenureship.  They work seasonal leases with property owners to rental
gardens, leaving them vulnerable to development.  Those landowners are
usually city and county government.  The largest rental garden is on county
property where there are 1,003 rental plots.  Currently, those plots are
scheduled for demolition due to a combination of uses: a proposed state DNR
forest (advocated by many other environmental and greening organizations), an
athletic field, and detention ponds.  Those plots represent 60% of the number
of plots we have left in the county.  So you see, even if gardens are run and
maintained by County Parks or Extension, they are still no guarantees that
what resources and sweat equity gardeners put into their gardens will remain
there forever.    Alternative uses for county parkland oftentimes can compete
with gardens.  Plus, in our county, as in many others, our parks budget is
continually targeted for cuts year in and year out.  Last, our extension
staff are put in awkward situations where they essentially have a "gag order"
from county officials when gardens are threatened.

You should also be aware that Wisconsin has a Project FEEDS, a collaboration
between Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Rural
Development and Cooperative Extension.  Their goals are to establish a
network of demonstration gardens throughout Wisconsin, cyberlink all
community garden groups, establish a partnership with the green industry and
Master Gardeners for expertise and materials, etc. etc.  I do know they meet

Hope that helps.

Michael Salinas
Milwaukee Urban Gardens

PS  Hi Adam