Re: FW: masters program in community gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] FW: masters program in community gardens
  • From: "Mary Bedard" <mb1029585@onemain.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:59:29 -0800

In the Community Development Graduate Group at the University of California, Davis there were some Masters students doing research around community gardens while I was there.  The faculty included Jim Grieshop, whose research covered gardens in Cuba, and he did indeed lead a seminar on the various forms and ramifications of community and school gardens.  Mark Francis, mentioned before, is also part of the CD Grad Group faculty.  We also had lots of interactions and shared classes with the International Ag Graduate Group, both programs being in the same Department.  The Geography Graduate Group at UC Davis also had researchers studying comm. gardens.  There are many opportunities for students to practice what they are learning in the student farm, several co-op living facilities, and several community gardens throughout Davis.
Contact the graduate group assistant Judy Erwin <gjerwin@ucdavis.edu> or see the CD website at http://www.aes.ucdavis.edu/ex/departments/Dep_human.htm
mary (gee do I sound like a commercial???)
Mary Bedard, MSCD
The Mitchell Nelson Group, LLC
71 SW Oak Street, Suite 100
Portland, OR 97204